The Stacks at Fulton Cotton Mill
- 1842 – Jacob Elsas, the founder of what would become the Stacks Lofts, is born in 1843 in Germany. An orpahan, 18 years later, he would immigrate to America to seek his fortune.
- 1868 – Elsas arrives in Atlanta from Cartersville, Ga., via Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1872 – Elsas teams up with another German immigrant, Isaac May. Their new company becomes known as Elsas, May and Company.
- 1876 – Elsas purchases a charter to build a cotton mill. He acquires a 16 acre tract of land east of downtown Atlanta, formally the location of a Civil War foundry, “The Rolling Mill,” Atlanta’s largest manufacturing plant before it was destroyed during the war.
- 1881 – Construction of new mill named the Fulton Cotton Spinning Company begins.
- 1914 – Elsas turns over the Presidency of the firm to his son Oscar.
- 1914-1915 – A major labor strike takes place. The workers demanded an increase in wages, a 54-hour work week, and a decrease in the use of child labor. The strike gains national attention but ultimately fails in May 1915.
- 1931 – Jacob Elsas dies and is buried in a mausoleum overlooking the mill in nearby Oakland Cemetery.
- 1931 – 1968 – The company is led by a succession of Jacob Elsas’ descendents.
- 1956 – Eastern and Midwestern investors buy controlling interest in the company.
- 1968 – The mill is sold to Allied Products Corporation.
- 1976 – Cabbagetown and the Fulton Bag and Cotton Mills are nominated to the National Register as a historic district.
- 1981 – The mill closes.
- 1982 – Cabbagetown is declared a local Landmark District.
- 1985 – Seaboard Railroad buys the mill.
- 1996 – Aderhold Properties buys the property and in the following year begins the renovation and redevelopment of the historic mill into a community of 505 loft-style homes, now known as The Stacks at Fulton Cotton Mill, named for the mill’s still-standing smoke stacks.
- 1999 – During the construction of the loft-conversion, a major fire breaks out in one of the buildings. The shell survives but the entire interior has to be rebuilt.
- 2006 – The new condominium lofts go on the market.
- 2008 – A tornado rips the roof off of the “E” building and the top floor collapses. Only 15 units in this building are occupied at the time and fortunately only a few of these residents are home at that evening. Everyone escapes unharmed.